Train... Rehearse... Perform... Repeat...
At VTMTA performances are just another step in the continuum of learning and growth. Although there is a wide variety of performance opportunities in the area for both children and adults, VTMTA's opportunities are tightly woven into the training and designed to propel students forward in ways simply "being in a show" can't. Productions include a fully produced musical, evenings of produced plays, cabaret nights, monologue and scene performances, informal readings of new works and much more. Most take place in our 80 seat black box theater. All are recorded for archival purposes and some (depending on licensing restrictions) are live streamed over the internet.
Performance opportunities in the schedule typically include:
- A Night of Monologues. (Late October) - This evening gives students a chance to used acting techniques designed to develop self-confidence, understand the process of script analysis and character development. It also develops critical reading and thinking skills so important in life. All levels.
- The Play's the Thing! (Mid November) - A weekend of one-act, short plays and/or a full length play each year.
- Life is a Cabaret (Mid-December) - An evening of solos, duets and group numbers inspired by great NY clubs like 54 Below, Danny's Skylight Room, Café Carlyle and Don't Tell Mama.
- What's Next? (Mid-February) - An evening of works written and/or directed by VTMTA members under the guidance of resident and visiting professional directors, writers and composers.
- The Musical (Mid April) - A fully staged musical selected to provide maximum growth opportunities for Academy members. This year, Seussical Jr.
- The Table Read (Mid May) - One of the ways new professionals develop connections is by doing table reads of new works. This performance of excerpts (sometimes entire shows) of new works will be simulcast to the shows' writers/composers if they are not able to attend in person. The particular pieces presented will be selected by students with oversight by Academy personnel.
- CREATE! (July/August) - This groundbreaking program provides a select group of students from across the United States and Canada the opportunity to experience the creative process firsthand. A professional team of director, choreographer, composer and writer in residence will cast, mount and workshop a new musical using students in a variety of roles. VTMTA students are given first shot during the audition process and can also choose to intern alongside pros in production roles.
- VTMTA and Spotlight Vermont regularly host workshops with professional working artists. We feel it is critical for students to have the opportunity to meet, study with and ask questions of people working at the top of their game. Past workshop artists include:
- Andrew Chappelle - Broadway's Hamilton, Mamma Mia
- Kate Wetherhead - Broadway's The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and Legally Blonde, Submissions Only with Andrew Keenan-Bolger
- Cady Huffman - Broadway's The Producers (Tony Award for Best Supporting Actress), Will Rogers Follies, Steel Pier, La Cage aux Folles. TVs The Good Wife, Blue Bloods
- Jeremy Holm - TV, Mr. Robot, House of Cards, Blue Bloods, The Americans. Film - The Judge
- Robbie Hager - Broadway's Spring Awakening, Bye Bye Birdie, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
- Rikki Gimmelstob - Casting Director - Telsey and Company
- Merri Sugarman - Casting Director - Tara Rubin Associates